Date: Apr 4, 2020
Subject: Holy Week Service (Apr 10, 2020 – Apr 19, 2020)
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding” Philippians 4:6-7
To our beloved congregation of Mississauga, Vancouver, and Western Canada
Recognizing the spiritual significance of the Holy Week to our coptic community, considering the seriousness of the fast spreading COVID-19 virus and in compliance with the provisional guidelines, we, the Bishop of Mississauga, Vancouver, and Western Canada along with the clergy, agreed on the following:
- Continue suspension of liturgies until Thursday Apr 9th.
- Pray the following services with a maximum of 3 people (eg. 2 priests + 1 deacon OR 1 priest + 2 deacons according to the specific service need of each church): Last Friday of Lent, Eve of Palm Sunday, Palm Sunday, Covenant Thursday, Good Friday, Bright Saturday, and Easter Divine Liturgy (limit may be increased to a max of 5 people for Easter Liturgy only).
- Pray Pascha Hourly prayers (morning and evening) priest only + one deacon optional.
- Churches that have more than one priest are encouraged to have English and Arabic services.
- We encourage churches that are within the same area/city to coordinate and hold joint services
- In all of the above services, church deacons could coordinate participation in readings and
hymns through online services.
- ALL priests, deacons, and holy bread making deacons should strictly follow all necessary
precaution in terms of distancing, hand washing, and sanitization all the time.
The above measures are in effect unless mandated by provincial guidelines to do otherwise.
We ask our beloved congregation to follow necessary safety measures, and stay home. May the blessings of these holy days be with all. We continue to pray to our Lord Jesus Christ to keep everyone safe.
“Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:4)
Diocese of Mississauga, Vancouver and Western Canada